Thursday 16 September 2010

The cost of moving

Hot desking is actually surprisingly easy to do once you get used to it though you need to be able to compact all your things into one notebook.  I remember the second or third day of coming to volunteer and passing my new line manager Carla on the way with a massive bag full of files, notebooks and papers that she had to transport from one office to another depending on what meetings she had on, what activities, etc.  She had clearly been carrying it all the way from home - not close - that I took it off her immediately for the last 4 minutes of the journey.  I remember after that vowing to myself to be a minimalist. 

Having to remember to get receipts for everything was, and still is, a hassle.  You have to remember to ask for them, keep them together and then sort them out every week or two... or three.  I was initially good at it partly because I was recycling the money I was spending on travel and food the week after and therefore couldn't do without. 

But then there began to be issues with my oystercard.  I forget to ask for a print out of my journeys at the end of my day and decide to do it the next day.  But then can't do it for one reason or another and so I decide to go at the end of my journey of the second day and ask for one.   But then I've made so many journeys on the first day that when I eventually ask for a print out, the journeys are coming off the sheet!!  Bugger.  OK, so I have to call the oystercard company to send me a statement.  Shit, it's registered to my brother and I hadn't realise that I'd switched it by mistake until then (I'd been using it for around 6 months by this time).  So I have to ask him to change the details for me online (I give him another oyster card in return) so that Oyster can help me.  They're suspicious and give me a hard time but they help me anyway.  *Sigh* 

And then there's that game that you play with yourself with the oystercards - which one has the most cash on it - enough to get you to work, or at least the one requiring the least top up... That just leads to more confusion and should be avoided at all costs.  Seriously.  And this is possibly the main reason why I am now 5 weeks behind in getting my money back.  Also because somewhere in between I lost one of my three oystercards, had to call Oyster, get a new one sent (they replaced the wrong card though so I had to ask them again) but then found the oystercard I thought I'd lost but then forgot to touch out when exiting a station so had to call Oyster again.... The boys there love me.  They really do.  [Sarcasm].

But the issue has almost come to an end, I have my statements and I will put my claim in for the last 5 weeks (or it is 6?) on Monday.  I swear.  I will.  Promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment